Friday, April 17

My name is Toni and I am an addict.

I don't need help.

Besides, there's no such thing as "Bags Anonymous".


People with tendencies towards addictions tend to have a problem with restraint, naturally. Ergo, they tend to have more than one vice.

Mine are as follows:

  • Shoes

  • Makeup

  • Bags

  • Jewelry

  • Scarves

  • Shoes

Not in any particular order, mind you.

So given my predilection for bags, and any type of product that holds stuff, you might understand how the notion of being able to design my own bag can make me both happily excited and disturbingly hyperventilated at the same time.


For the first time ever, I am openly sharing the source of one of my guiltiest pleasures... my bag girl, Julia. Yes. That is her new "Toni Ryan Says..." name. Because Toni Ryan Says, that's why. My Bag Girl Julia. Not to be confused with My Actor Friend Justin, or My Hairstylist Robyn, my old dentist Dr. Pith Helmet (and matching Pick-Axe) , or Lorraine the Singer (who is actually my friend Lauren but my parents and their friends keep referring to her as Lorraine. "You know, the girl with the beautiful voice that sings, and should be on one of them there shows?")


Quit ogling.  It's MY bag. All mine! [insert maniacal accessories-induced laughter here]So. My Bag Girl Julia not only designs and handmakes a variety of backpacks, messenger bags, diaper bags, handbags, coin purses... but you can opt to customize every aspect of the process. Which for me is a major big deal. Major.


Not only can this control freak pick colors, style, and where the pockets will go, but I can only customize strap length. "Strap length?" you ask yourself aloud. Yes, strap length. It's mucho important. Any girl who struggles to keep her head above water when standing in the shallow end of the pool (literally) knows the value of a perfect strap length. It means no more dragging bags along the ground when you're walking with a bag in hand.


(Yes, it happens. Quit laughing.)


So, after my last Bag Making Spree where I acquired such gems as My Perfect Toile Bag and My Other Perfect Toile Bag (but bigger), I took a little respite. Rode on my high for many many months, trolling around in airports worldwide with my matching luggage, and actually fielding questions about where I got my beautiful bag. (Which is totally what it says on Julia's website... it's like she predicted the future.) Decided that I needed to settle down and lay off the bags for a little while. Laid low, and stuck with frequenting the sale rack at Marshall's and Loehman's. Even found a nice "throwaway" junky tote at Target for $6. (A "throwaway" bag is the one you keep in the car and can just throw crap in, yet still look somewhat stylish in an emergency involving an armload of random things.)


But now... Uncle Sam has tapped me on the shoulder to say he owes me a little something. "Yeah, go get yourself something nice. And heck, spend it all in one place if you want. Go. Shoo. We'll talk again next year, kid." OK, then! I will!


Right now, My Bag Girl Julia is in the process of concocting more than one item for me. It was hard not to want the other matching bags. Really. I was totally exercising some restraint here, just to prove that I could. Well, and also coz it wasn't that big of a refund check.


So, I just wanted to share that I am just giddy with excitement. Like, really corny kind of giddy. Like, you'd be embarassed to be seen near me while I wax enthusiastically about the bags that are in progress. That kind of giddy. Teee heeee heeee...... Bags are coming! Bags are coming!


In case you are also fascinated by the bag making process, or have an insatiable hunger for accessories, Julia will be sending pics of her making some bags so I can show you. Kinda like that part of Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, where you watch the hypnotic film playing on his wall about how they manufacture milk and put it in a bottle. Sort of like that but better, and less creepy.


Ya think it's accurate to say I'm "excited"?



LOL. Good thing I've never heard of any kind of support group for this kind of thing. Last thing I want to be lured into is some kind of Bag Intervention.


Although if that's the case, I can grab a bunch of stuff quickly and just make a run for it.



I've already got a bag or two or five ready for such a situation.

No comments:

Post a Comment