Thursday, December 17

Survey Time... Christmas Edition

Props to my friend Karen who occasionally plays a game of Survey-Tag with me, where we just fill out the answers with nonsense and keep sending them back and forth... this is a gem from the holiday archives:

"Okay, if you want to do this, here's what you're supposed to do: Copy and paste this to a new post or email, then place your own answers to the questions. Remember--Tis the Season to be NICE"


1. Wrapping paper or gift bags?
Wrapping paper, without a doubt. And in preparation for this, I am always the person that buys the overpriced wrapping paper that your kids are selling through you to your co-workers, that goes to fund sharpened pencils for the needy students.

2. Real tree or Artificial?
Real. Although growing up, we had an artificial tree, which came in three pieces but also had additional filler branches that you could tuck into the bald spots. As the years went by, these filler pieces would somehow disappear, and the year our tree finally looked REALLY pathetic, it finally occurred to my parents that a real tree did not have to be returned into a box and carried up to the attic. We've been "real tree" people ever since.

3. When do you put up the tree?
Second Sunday of December.

4. When do you take the tree down?
Ornaments come down right after the Epiphany (Jan 6th?), then the tree & lights go the next weekend. It's actually really fancy looking with just the lights on and no ornaments.

5. Do you like eggnog?
Not really. (See "Lactose Intolerance")

6. Favorite gift received as a child?
A really fancy AM/FM radio alarm clock. It was white and shaped like a cube. And had DIGITAL time. I actually had an analog alarm clock up until then. (I swear to you, I'm only 27)

7. Hardest person to buy for?
My mother. She pulls that whole martyr stunt that moms are so good at... "Oh, I don't need all thaaat! Aw... you really shouldn't have spent so much on thiiiisssss!" Please. If we really didn't buy all "thaaat" or spent on all "thiiiiissss", trust me, I'm sure we'd still hear about it twenty Christmases from now.

8. Easiest person to buy for?
My brother. He's also the easiest person to surprise. Mainly because he's a little dumb, er... forgetful. He'll basically mention that he likes something, then my eyes immediately light up and I'll just flat out announce, "Oooh! I just came up with a great idea!" Then he'll go, "What, you're gonna get me that for Christmas?" And thing is, I do end up getting it for him for Christmas. He just really NEVER remembers the conversation. In fact, he just gave me an ideaYay! There's always room at my Gingerbread Inn! today, and I guarantee that by next Friday, he'll still be surprised. It's ridiculous.

9. Do you have a nativity scene? -->
HAHAHAH, do I have a nativity scene?! Absolutely! In fact, despite the fact that it is old and made of some sort of cheap plastic that's probably been recalled, I love this thing. I like to call it my We Three Kings Action Figure Set. I sometimes set it up in different vignettes around the house at the holidays.

10. Mail or email Christmas cards?
Mail. But my list is sooooo short, that if you actually get a card from me, you know you are a big deal. I've gotten sooooo lazy as the years have progressed, that I actually have a generic holiday photo card that I email to everyone else. I really am just so opposed to the cost of postage, it is quite apalling. In fact, I think I am only sending-sending a total of two cards this year. You think I'm joking, but I'm only allowing one dollar for my entire holiday postage budget, so good luck.

11. Worst Christmas gift you ever received?
Easy. I got this piggy bank that was made of clear acrylic, and meant to sort coins when you dropped them in. So you'd put in a dime, and it would slide down the shoot to the right column where all the dimes were stacked. One column each for pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters. Except the coins would always get stuck down the wrong shoot. Yes, I actually watch this corny ass movie every year.Pennies would get trapped in the dimes column. I got about sixty five cents stuck in the contraption before I got so fed up I had to go ballistic on this thing until it cracked apart. Worst. Gift. Ever.

12. Favorite Christmas Movie?
"Home Alone" or that Vanessa Williams' take on "A Christmas Carol" that T-Boz is also in ... it's so cheeze and I love it. -->

13. When do you start shopping for Christmas?
Planning starts in late September, and if I don't actually start doing anything, I usually don't get on it until... well, NOW!

No anise seeds for me, please!14. Have you ever re-gifted a Christmas present?
Hella yeah! A pile of chipped acrylic and loose change always manages to pass as "modern art".

15. Favorite thing to eat at Christmas?
<-- Hmmm... what do we eat at Christmas that I don't get any other time of year... pizzelles and challah bread. Challah!

16. Favorite Christmas song?
Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, Lou Rawls style.

17. Travel at Christmas or stay at home?
Stay home.

Thank you, baby Jesus, for being born, so we could wrap gifts.18. Angel on the tree top or a star?
Star. Or actually, we have a big gold snowflake.

19. What theme or color are you using?
On gifts, white white white. And red ribbon. On the tree, greens and golds, but we have these red apple ornaments that must be on the tree every year. -->

20. Open the presents Christmas Eve or morning?
Christmas morning. Which sucks, because sometimes I actually wanna sleep in, but we also do church on Christmas day, so gifts still have to wait until after mass. Zzzzzz....

21. Most annoying thing about this time of the year?
Always feeling like I'm running out of time. Maybe it's that whole notion that the year is ending too. It's frustrating, and then Christmas is like this whirlwind, and BAM, it's done. And so's the year. Whoa, whaaaa?!

Thanks for the high blood pressure, Santa.22. Favorite for Christmas dinner?
-->
My aunt usually has a big plate of smoked salmon, and I just sit there eating it until I am so bloated and dehydrated. I know that's kinda gross, I have a salt thing.

23. What do you want for Christmas this year?
Holding my breath, and waiting to see if I actually get a card back this year... cryptic, I know, but I don't want to jinx it.

24. Who is most likely to respond to this?
Karen? lol

25. Who is least likely to respond to this?
YOU, if you're smart.

No comments:

Post a Comment